Monday, July 02, 2007

iPhone iRony

Congratulations. You just bought an iPhone.

Okay, so, I'm not that old, but, I'm old enough to remember that telephone exchanges used to have names so you could remember the first 2 letters of your phone number. Mine was "Mohawk" (MO4). Aside from this. The whole iPhone nonsense is funny. There were people scrambling... nay, waiting for days to pay $600 for a phone. A phone that costs you ~$100+/mnth to run. Okay, so, value over the course of one year is equal to what... a luxurious 4 day weekend excursion to Paris? Or a decent used car? Or a really nice bicycle (or 2 very good ones)? Instead, you've purchased yet another EMF-emitting, battery-powered thing that allows anyone to remotely play a song in your pocket? So much for being green... and please don't forget to turn it off before yoga class, ok?

I hearken back to a story an old curmudgeonly boss told me once. He said, "Eric, what if I told you that I invented a device that would allow any asshole with a quarter to make a bell ring in your house. Would you want that device? And then, what if I told you that this invention was going to make me a wealthy man and that it would spawn one of the greatest monopolies since Standard Oil. Would you believe me?"

Yes, dear friends. That invention is the telephone. Okay, perhaps I'm being a curmudgeon myself here... but seriously. How about this... apparently you need to use iTunes to activate your new iPhone. Okay, so, let's say you went out and bought a new fancy microwave/convection/conventional oven. You get it professionally installed. But it doesn't work? It powers on, but, an hour later, the turkey meatloaf is still raw and cold. You call up customer service, and they say, "Okay, I've heard this one before. Try this... please plug your oven into your surround-sound receiver, and switch the receiver to AUX."

Curmudgeon? Bad consumer? Fine. But, if I'm not being a good consumer, you're a stunner, nay, a wild-eyed throw-your-money-at-the-hip-geek devotee. And, let me know if you find a good PT for that new repetitive motion disorder you've got from that stretchy-expandy gesture you have to teach yourself now.

1 Comments:

Blogger nadleroni said...

ok... so I watched the video on the Apple site. I think congrats are in order to the iPhone team there. There are definitely a few nice features on this phone/device. I'm definitely not the new-adapter type with few exceptions (Playstation/Tomb Raider was the last thing I snapped up instantly). Good luck to all of you on the bleeding edge. - ESN

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home